Eileen Balesteri is a self-proclaimed "Foodie" and recipe tweaker. She writes a periodic food column for The Daily Journal Newspaper (a Gannett publication) in Vineland, New Jersey where she is a member of the Food Advisory Board.

Born and raised in Southern New Jersey, she now resides with her husband and three children in the quaint, rural community of Richland, N.J.


She also shares her home with Summer, the sweetest dog in the world, her two cats, Blue and Tink, a Siamese fighting fish named Ting-Ting, and a guinea pig named Rocky.

Friday, August 20, 2010

The Lazy, Thrown Together Dinner of an Exhausted Woman...

Today was hard.  I'm not going to bore you with the gory details, but trust me when I tell you that all I wanted to do all day was crawl into bed and hide under my blankets. 
I love Blanket World...
But alas, with my minions depending upon me for the satisfaction of their every need & whim, it was not to be.

This evening, I found myself moving  from freezer to fridge to pantry, opening their doors and staring vacantly into each one.  I guess I was secretly hoping that something in there would jump out and shout, "MAKE ME!  MAKE ME!!!  EVERYONE WILL LOVE ME, AND I'M SOOOO EASY..."    Yeah, right. 

Arrrrrgh...It was time to get my tired butt in gear.  Hmmmm...What to make, what to make...I had a couple of thinly sliced,  frozen boneless chicken breasts in the freezer, and I believe the chicken flavored Rice-a-Roni gave me a nod when I was at the pantry earlier.  Ok, protein and starch out of the way, how about a veggie?  Ahhh...the old reliable small can of sliced carrots.  I know what your thinking.  Ewww...canned veggies.  Tough.  They're easy, and like I said earlier, I'm all about easy.  (Just ask my husband;)

So, here's how I made my easy one dish chicken surprise for my peeps if you'd like to give it a try. 

*Add 1 tablespoon of oil or butter to a large, deep frying pan, set to med. high heat. 
*Quickly pan sear chicken on both sides until brown.  Remove from pan and set aside.
* Dump two boxes of chicken Rice a Roni (store brand's cool, too) into the same pan and toss around until the rice turns a golden color.
*Add 5 cups of hot water and both seasoning packets to the rice and bring to a boil.
*While you're waiting for the water to boil, cut up the chicken into cubes (it should still be raw inside--it's supposed to be so that it doesn't overcook when you add it back in)
*Drain the water off the canned carrots, and with a knife, roughly cut them up while they're still in the can.
*Toss the chicken and the carrots into the rice and give it a stir.  The water should just be starting to boil.
*Turn the heat to low, cover the pan, and cook for 15 minutes or until all of the water is absorbed by the rice.

              Is this a colorful dish?  Nope.                          Did my family devour it?  Yup. 


            Will eating like this every night make you look like this?   Maybe.


The important thing was that my one dish wonder was on the table in under a half hour.  Everybody's fed, my guilt is subsiding, and I'm off to Blanket World...

I'll do something healthier and prettier next time! 

By the way... the chicken was $4.23, the two boxes of rice were only $1.39 each (store brand), and the little can of carrots was .59 for a grand total of $7.60. 

Not bad for a hot meal for five, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment